Time for the next monthly book summary, August was a pretty slow month reading wise, but what I lacked in quantity it made up for in quality.
I read 12 books in August and unfortunately did have to DNF 1 book. I managed to finish the month with nothing still in my currently reading again, and for August I read a total of 5167 pages.
1) Set Fire To The Gods by Sara Raasch and Kristen Simmons ★★★★★ – I was lucky enough to win a giveaway for the arc of this and devoured it. I loved the elemental magic and fell completely in love with the main two characters – review here
2) The Invisible Life of Addie LaRue by V.E. Schwab ★★★★★– I can’t believe I got approved for an earc of this, like with all Schwab books I fell instantly for the characters, writing and story, this was perfect – review here
3) Soulmates by Holly Bourne ★★★★ – This is actually the first Holly Bourne book I haven’t given 5 stars. I did really like the idea of this story but I just found the main characters really cringey, which is actually kind of the point so it’s nothing on Holly’s writing, just me being awkward.
4) Percy Jackson and the Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan ★★★★★ – This is amazing. I’m so annoyed with myself for not picking up this series earlier in my life. I wish I’d discovered this when I was a kid but I loved this and cannot wait to continue the series.
5) Traitor To The Throne by Alwyn Hamilton ★★★★★ – It has actually been 2 years since I read the first book in this series and I’m impressed how I remembered everything from book one and got instantly sucked back in to this world. Alwyn knows how to rip my heart out and then just rip it out a bit more after.
6) The Song Rising by Samantha Shannon ★★★★ – I’m kind of glad I didn’t discover this series back when they were first released because I don’t think I could have waited years after reading this before the next book (which is out in February 2021 I believe). I’m definitely going to be reading the two ebook novellas to tide me over until The Mask Falling is released.
7) The Jumbies by Tracey Baptiste ★★★.5 – This was so creepy, but the perfect kind of creepy for a middle grade. I really enjoyed the story of this and the description of the Jumbies was incredible
8) Read With Pride by Lucy Powrie ★★★★★ – This book was everything I needed, it was perfect and the LGBTQ+ rep on the whole in this book was incredible – review here
9) The Sleeping Prince by Melinda Salisbury ★★★★ – This was another sequel where I read book one a year ago and at first I was pretty confused starting it as it follows completely different characters but I started to love the characters really quickly and then connections to the first book become apparent and I’m looking forward to finishing the trilogy.
10) Good Girl, Bad Blood by Holly Jackson ★★★★★ – So this book blew my mind completely. The twists in this were even better than the first book and I already have theories on what might happen in book three.
11) Chain of Gold by Cassandra Clare ★★★★★ – Second time reading this in 2020 and I loved it more this time. This was the final book that me, Jas and Kelly had to read for our Shadowhunters buddy read and I got to savour it more this time round.
12) The Witch’s Tears by Katharine and Elizabeth Corr ★★★★ – This was a really easy, quick read for me, I was instantly back in the world from the first book and there are a few new characters in this book, and I couldn’t figure out who Merry should trust
Seven of the books that I read in August were also for the UKYA Readathon (here’s my original tbr), the book I DNF’d was actually for one of the prompts. This month’s stack of books was a lot easier to hold than the last few months (the back to front one is for the ebook I read)